Time for newness! (New blog, new recordings :))
It is vain to think that any weariness, however caused, any burden, however slight, may be got rid of otherwise than by bowing the neck to the yoke of the Father’s will. There can be no other rest for heart and soul than He has created. From every burden, from every anxiety, from all dread of shame or loss, even loss of love itself, that yoke will set us free.
To write about how I feel is a nuisance and it is unnecessarily repetitive.
Instead I will write about the warmth of the breeze slipping through my open car window.
I will express thanks to God for the clouds and the trees that provide relief from a hot sun.
I will smile slightly at the distant chatter of children coming from the park across the street.
And I will be happy – so happy – to realize that I am blessed to witness these things at all.
A boy with unbridled imagination.
With what wide eyes you see the world!
With what kindness you look through those eyes!
Adorable, yet brave.
I’m not sure that I’ve ever met an adorable warrior before
…but you are that.
I’m glad you’re in this world.
I have expressed my strong interest in the mass of the people; and this is founded, not on their usefulness to the community, so much as on what they are in themselves…. Indeed every man (sic), in every condition, is great. It is only our own diseased sight which makes him little. A man is great as a man, be he where or what he may. The grandeur of his nature turns to insignificance all outward distinctions.
(William Ellery Channing)
I recently had a conversation with some friends about the origin of life and the significance of man. The quote above states my view with clarity and supports my belief that we should take pride in the beauty of our human form, our lives, and the world in which we live.
I love watching movies – not only for entertainment, but also as a source for artistic inspiration in life. I’m also curious about the various ways in which people live and respond to (hypothetical) situations.
Electrick Children (2012)
Electrick Children is a coming-of-age tale with a splash of reverie. Julia Garner, Rory Culkin and Liam Aiken are wonderful young actors who capture different parts of the awkward, tumultuous time we know as adolescence. What arguably makes the film is the stark contrast between urban, skateboard culture and Mormonism. By comparing such different worlds, viewers are inevitably drawn to both. Electrick Children is refreshing, hopeful and strangely invigorating.
Check out the trailer below:[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRpvmHeigfo%5D
Otherwise I wouldn’t like you so much.
I can’t explain it.
But you are so cool.
You are so sweet.
You are so cute.
I appreciate that you don’t feel the need to talk all the time.
You appreciate silence.
You appreciate thinking.
You work hard.
You wish you could play harder :)
I wish we could hang out.
I wish we could just chill.
I wish we could take trips together
And listen to music
And just be
Doesn’t that sound nice?
How unfortunate that you’ve never even thought about this!
I think we could be friends.
I think we could be good friends.
I wish you thought the same…
** I’m late posting, I know. :) **
2. I recently saw Celeste and Jesse Forever and the soundtrack was dope. Here’s one of my faves: [youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5uqhQZjmJk%5D
3. If you know anything about Dubstep, then you’ve probably heard of Skrillex. I was first introduced to him by my brother, who actually just wanted me to see the music video – it’s crazy and so is the track. [youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cXDgFwE13g%5D
*Must also give a loving link to “Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites“ *
4. I’ve loved Norwegian duo Röyksopp ever since I heard “Remind Me”, but my love has since transformed into obsession after hearing this remix (by Protohype + Carnage) of “Running to the Sea” (ft. Susanne Sundfør)… [youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wLix1PSD4A%5D
5. Recently, I’ve been working on getting to more live shows. I found out that Cherub will be playing near me soon. I also found out that I’m obsessed with their single, “Doses and Mimosas”. [youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlZtvEM5mf4%5D
6. Gotta love me some Bassnectar – “808 Track” is one of my all timers. [youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdnBTJiUVDQ%5D
7. Did you ever see the incredibly violent, yet oddly mesmerizing movie with Ryan Gosling called Drive? If so, do you remember the ethereal theme song playing at the end of the movie? Either way, you need to give it (another) listen. “Real Human Being” by College. [youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DSVDcw6iW8%5D
8. Because I’m way into Dubstep (or is it technically “Electronic Dance Music”…?) Whatever. I’ve been doing a ton of YouTubing. Here’s “Evil Gameboy” by Virtual Riot. [youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_QaI8Koa-k%5D
9. This one’s for my little bro, Joel. We all have songs that makes us feel alive – this one is that for him. (Plus Anthony Gonzalez is so fly…) “Midnight City” by M83. [youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aZFcosBTaQ%5D
10. This list would not be complete without a little bit of Flux… “Got 2 Know” by Flux Pavillion + Dr. P [youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts8rzMj0yIYhttp://%5D